Call for Artists: ACA 2022 Faculty & Alumni Show
The Alabama Center for the Arts (ACA) is excited to call alumni artists and faculty/staff of Athens State University and Calhoun Community College for the sixth juried faculty, staff, and alumni show.
We encourage innovative and progressive work that utilizes a diversity of art forms and media. There is no theme for the 2022 show, however, all works must have been completed in the last year and must not have been shown previously in any of the galleries or hallways of the Alabama Center for the Arts.
Artists may submit up to three works of art in JPG form along with the entry form for consideration by our juror. No more than three works per artist will be selected. Works selected for the exhibition will be displayed in the gallery and potentially the walking gallery at the Alabama Center for the Arts in historic Downtown Decatur.
Everyone who is eligible is encouraged to participate in this call for artists. Call (256) 260-4299 or email Jennifer.Bunnell@athens.edu with any questions.
SPECIFICATIONS & INSTRUCTIONS
Submitted artwork will be juried in a review of digital images submitted online. Artists accepted will be invited to ship or hand-deliver their artwork to the ACA for exhibition.
- Artists submitting work must be faculty/staff/adjunct or alumni of Athens State University or Calhoun Community College.
- Entry deadline (form and digital images for all entries) is: July 20, 2022.
- Please email your entries (up to 3 works of art in JPG) along with the entry form (form is attached as last page of this document)
- One form per entry or 3 entries listed on one form to: Bunnell@athens.edu. Or, you may mail your form(s) and digital art work on a USB flash drive to the address at the top of this page. Mailed entries must be postmarked by July 14, 2022.
- Works in all media are eligible, provided they can be juried by digital image. We cannot accept reels of performance art, work that exceeds 72” in any one direction or work that requires special display casing that cannot be provided by the artist. Eligible media include Painting (watercolor, oil, and acrylic), Drawing (charcoal, graphite, pastel), Printmaking, Photography/Digital Media, Sculpture, Mixed Media, and Fine Craft (wood, metal, clay, fiber, glass).
- Works must be original and executed within the last year. Works previously exhibited at the ACA are not eligible.
- Works chosen for exhibition must be finished, dry, and ready to exhibit. Works must be framed and, where appropriate, glazed with Plexiglas (hand-delivered items may be glazed with glass). Plexiglas must be on work over 24”x30”. No substitutions are allowed.
- Artwork which is intentionally unframed, such as stretched canvas, must have well-finished painted edges. Edges cannot be taped. All wall and suspended work must be equipped with a secure wire hanging system (not just a hook).
- The ACA reserves the right to eliminate any entry that is not reasonably adaptable to its physical facility (for example, a sculpture should fit within a hypothetical 12-foot cube; the horizontal dimension of any work should not exceed 12 feet).
- The ACA does not supply framing, hardware or wire. The gallery supplies a track hanging system for art to be displayed on the walls that are wall papered. Artwork or display materials to be directly affixed to the wall must have gallery approval. (Sticky tape is not acceptable.)
- Selected hanging art too heavy for the track system in the gallery will not be accepted.
- All work must be equipped for safe installation; gallery personnel will determine safety.
- Works considered too fragile for handling by gallery personnel will not be accepted.
- When two or three-dimensional work is unusually heavy or difficult to handle, timely assistance may be required of the artist. Prior notice must be given to ensure gallery floor or wall can bear weight load. Three-dimensional work must fit through a standard single door.
- The ACA has a limited number of display materials for 3-D work – consult with gallery prior to installation. The artist is responsible for special security of artwork, such as jewelry.
- Artists whose works require electrical outlets or other special considerations should consult with gallery personnel prior to application.
- After selections are made, all work delivered to the gallery must be catalogued through the “Gallery Intake Form” which will be provided at notification of acceptance. Affixed to the back of the art must be a piece of paper with the following:
- Artist name / Artist phone number & email / Title of the work, medium & price, or marked Not for Sale (NFS).
About your images:
It is important that your images represent your work as accurately and professionally as possible. Artists must submit JPGs, with maximum size not to exceed 25MB. The ACA reserves the right to reproduce images of accepted entries for promotion of the exhibition in the media and online. The ACA reserves the right not to accept a work if it is significantly different from the digital image submitted.
All work included in the Faculty and Alumni Art Exhibition will be available for sale unless designated Not for Sale (NFS) by the artist. Prices will be available in the gallery, and purchased works will not be released until after the close of the exhibition. Artists receive 100% of the monies from the sale of art. The sale of artwork is taxable, and all sales tax processing will be handled by the exhibitor. Sold artwork requiring shipment will be handled by the exhibitor with costs collected from buyer.
All work will be handled with care, but pieces submitted for exhibition are at the artist’s risk. In the event of damage or theft, the ACA will not be held liable.
Submission of an entry to this exhibition constitutes agreement on the part of the entrant to the conditions set forth in this competition.
Pick-Up and Storage:
When the exhibit ends, you may pick up your work no earlier than 8:00pm on the closing day of the exhibit. You must pick up your work within 72 hours of the closing day of the exhibit or notify the gallery if you will be late. The ACA is a non-collecting gallery with no storage space for purchased or donated works of art. Unless previous arrangements have been made, work not picked up will be subject to a fine of $10.00 per piece, per week. Work left in storage longer than two weeks shall become the ACA’s property and may be disposed of or used for fundraising purposes. There are no exceptions.
For further information:
Questions, contact, Jennifer Bunnell, ACA Director, at Jennifer.Bunnell@athens.edu, or 256-260-4299 during regular business hours (Monday-Thursday, 8:00am-4:30pm Central, Friday, 8:00am-12:00noon).
Deadline: Entry form(s) & digital images MAILED on USB must be postmarked by: July 14, 2022
ACA Faculty & Alumni Show 2022 Juror – Philip R. Jackson
Representational artist, PHILIP R. JACKSON is a Professor of Art at the University of Mississippi in Oxford where he currently teaches and heads the painting area. Jackson’s work is included in the permanent collections of art museums in Evansville and Fort Wayne, Indiana; Huntsville, Alabama; Jackson and Meridian Mississippi. His paintings have been featured in numerous publications, including Art in America, Southwest Art, American Art Collector, and American Artist Magazine. Jackson has received awards from the Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation in Montreal, Canada; AIR Serenbe; Mississippi Museum of Art; Mississippi Arts Commission; Tyrone Guthrie Foundation in Monaghan, Ireland and numerous scholarly research grants from the University of Mississippi. He received his B.F.A. from the Columbus College of Art & Design in Columbus, Ohio, and his M.F.A. from Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio. Jackson also studied abroad at Studio Art Centers International in Florence, Italy. He is a member of Zeuxis, a painting collective of artists focusing on the still life. His work is represented by the Chris Winfield Gallery in Carmel, California.
[button link=”https://www.alabamacenterforthearts.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Call-to-Artists_Faculty-and-Alumni-Show_2022.pdf” color=”teal”] Download the Entry Form[/button]
|Now – July 20, 2022||Entries accepted (entries form and JPGs of art)|
|July 20, 2022||Entry deadline (form and JPGs) – no late entries will be accepted|
|July 23-28, 2022||Image jurying|
|July 28-29, 2022||Artist notification of accepted and non-accepted entries|
|July 29 – August 5, 2022||Receipt of artwork for exhibition, Monday-Thursday, 8am-4:30pm and Friday, 8am-12pm (The ACA closes at 12 noon on Fridays)|
|August 11, 2022||Exhibition opens to the public|
|TBD (possibly Aug. 18, 19 or 25)||Artists Reception (we encourage all participants to attend)|
|October 28, 2022||Exhibition closes|
|October 31-November 8, 2022||Pick-up/return of works|