Call for Artists: 7th Annual Juried Festival of the Cranes Art Exhibition
ENTRY DEADLINE: Monday, November 23, 2020
The Alabama Center for the Arts (ACA) is excited to again call students, alumni artists, faculty, and staff of Athens State University and Calhoun Community College for the seventh annual juried Festival of the Cranes Exhibition.
We encourage innovative and progressive work that utilizes a diversity of art forms and media that depicts Whooping cranes, Sandhill cranes, birds, waterfowl, ducks, geese, raptors, eagles, falcons, owls, fish, deer, other wildlife, nature, and anything to do with General Joe Wheeler (“Fighting Joe”) or his home, Pond Spring, in nearby Hillsboro, Alabama.
This event is in conjunction with the annual Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge Festival of the Cranes to be held on Saturday and Sunday, January 9-10, 2021. (Note: the ACA will host an environmental film screening on Thurs., Jan. 7th and again have special hours on Saturday, however, will not be open on Sunday.)
Artists may submit up to three works of art in JPG form along with the entry form for consideration by our juror. No more than three works per artist will be selected. Works selected for the show will be displayed in the walking gallery (first floor) of the Visual Arts building at the Alabama Center for the Arts in historic Downtown Decatur.
Call (256) 260-4299 or email Jennifer.Bunnell@athens.edu with any questions.
ACA’s programs and dates are subject to change due to on-going COVID-19 circumstances.
SPECIFICATIONS & INSTRUCTIONS
Submitted artwork will be juried in a review of digital images submitted online. Artists accepted will be invited to ship or hand-deliver their artwork to the ACA for show.
- Artists submitting work must be a student, faculty, staff, or alumni of Athens State University or Calhoun Community College.
- Entry deadline is Monday, November 23, 2020 to Jennifer.Bunnell@athens.edu (digital image/images with Entry Form – you may list all entries on one form, but please be sure it is legible). Late entries will not be accepted.
- Works in all media are eligible, provided they can be juried by digital image. We cannot accept reels of performance art, work that exceeds 72” in any one direction or work that requires special display casing that cannot be provided by the artist. Eligible media include Painting (watercolor, oil, and acrylic), Drawing (charcoal, graphite, pastel), Printmaking, Photography/Digital Media, Sculpture, Mixed Media, and Fine Craft (wood, metal, clay, fiber, glass).
- Works must be original and executed within the last three years.
- Works must not have been previously on display at the Alabama Center for the Arts.
- Works chosen for show must be finished, dry, and ready to exhibit. Works must be framed and, where appropriate, glazed with Plexiglas (hand-delivered items may be glazed with glass). Plexiglas must be on work over 24”x30”. No substitutions are allowed.
- Artwork which is intentionally unframed, such as stretched canvas, must have well-finished painted edges. Edges cannot be taped. All wall and suspended work must be equipped with a secure wire hanging system (not jagged edge brackets or premanufactured circular holes – they are too small).
- The ACA reserves the right to eliminate any entry that is not reasonably adaptable to its physical facility (for example, a sculpture should fit within a hypothetical 12-foot cube; the horizontal dimension of any work should not exceed 12 feet).
- The ACA does not supply framing, hardware or wire. The gallery supplies a track hanging system for art to be displayed on the walls that are wall papered. Artwork or display materials to be directly affixed to the wall must have gallery approval. (Sticky tape is not acceptable.)
- Selected hanging art too heavy for the track system in the gallery will not be accepted.
- All work must be equipped for safe installation; gallery personnel will determine safety
- Works considered too fragile for handling by gallery personnel will not be accepted.
- When two or three-dimensional work is unusually heavy or difficult to handle, timely assistance may be required of the artist. Prior notice must be given to ensure gallery floor or wall can bear weight load. Three-dimensional work must fit through a standard single door.
- The ACA has a limited number of display materials for 3-D work – consult with gallery prior to installation. The artist is responsible for special security of artwork, such as jewelry.
- Artists whose works require electrical outlets or other special considerations should consult with gallery personnel prior to application.
- After jury process and acceptance, all work delivered to the gallery must be catalogued through the “Gallery Intake Form.” The Intake Form should be affixed to the back of the art and must include:
- Artist name
- Address, phone number and email
- Title of the work, medium and price or noted as Not for Sale (NFS)
About your images:
It is important that your images represent your work as accurately and professionally as possible. Artists must submit JPGs, with maximum size not to exceed 25MB. The ACA reserves the right to reproduce images of accepted entries for promotion of the show in the media and online. The ACA reserves the right not to accept a work if it is significantly different from the digital image submitted.
All work included in the Festival of the Cranes Art Show will be available for sale unless designated Not for Sale (NFS) by the artist. Prices will be available in the lobby, and purchased works will not be released until after the close of the show. If art is sold, you will receive 100% of the cost of the sale. Sold artwork requiring shipment will be handled by the exhibitor with costs collected from buyer.
All work will be handled with care, but pieces submitted for show are at the artist’s risk. In the event of damage or theft, the ACA will not be held liable.
Submission of an entry to this show constitutes agreement on the part of the entrant to the conditions set forth in this call for artists.
Pick-Up and Storage:
When the exhibit ends, you may pick up your work the next business day beginning at 8:00am. You must pick up your work within 72 hours of the closing day of the exhibit or notify the gallery if you will be late. The ACA is a non-collecting gallery with no storage space for purchased or donated works of art. Unless previous arrangements have been made, work not picked up will be subject to a fine of $10.00 per piece, per week. Work left in storage longer than two weeks shall become the ACA’s property and may be disposed of or used for fundraising purposes. There are no exceptions.
For further information:
Questions, contact, Jennifer Bunnell, ACA Director, at Jennifer.Bunnell@athens.edu, or 256-260-4299 during regular business hours (Monday-Thursday, 8am-4:30pm Central; Fridays, 8am-12pm).
Deadline is fast approaching – if mailed, applications must be postmarked by Thursday, November 19, 2020. If emailed or hand delivered, all entry materials are due Monday, November 23, 2020.
[button link=”https://www.alabamacenterforthearts.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Call-for-Artists_Crane-Festival_Jan-9-10-2021-1.pdf” color=”teal”] Download the Entry Form[/button]
Alabama Center for the Arts Festival of the Cranes Art Show 2021 Juror – TBA
|Now||Online entries begin|
|Nov. 23, 2020||Entry deadline (entry form and JPGs) – IN HAND (if mailing, must be postmarked on or before Nov. 19, 2020)|
|Nov. 24-29, 2020||Image jurying|
|Nov. 30, 2020||Artist notification of accepted and non-accepted entries|
|Nov. 30-Dec. 9, 2020 & Jan. 4-5, 2021||Receipt of artwork for show, Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-4:30pm and Friday, 8:30am-12:00noon
Important: The ACA will be closed Friday, December 11, 2020 through Sunday, January 3, 2021 for winter break.
|Jan. 6, 2021||Hanging of art|
|Jan. 7, 2021||Show opens to the public|
|Jan. 9, 2021 (Saturday)||Show opens to the public (special hours TBA)|
|Feb. 19, 2021||Show closes at 12:00 noon (works may be picked up beginning Monday morning, Feb. 22)|
|Feb. 22-26, 2021||Pick-up works. Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-4:30pm and Friday, 8:30am-12:00noon|